One of the most important values we have as a dog breeder is that each and every dog deserves to be loved and be a valued member of a home. In order to accomplish this and yet continue our breeding business, we look for guardian homes. A guardian home loves and trains the dog and will continue to be the dog's furever home when their breeding career is complete.
Guardian homes commit to the following:
- Bringing the dog to our home about every 6 weeks so that the dog is completely comfortable being in our home.
- Training their dog extensively. Dogs should earn their Canine Good Citizen award by the time they reach 18 months of age.
- Paying for all non-breeding expenses, including vet visits, vaccinations, grooming, etc.
- Feeding a high quality diet.
- Having a fenced-in yard (a physical fence is preferable to an electric fence).
- Always keeping their dog on a leash outside of their home or yard.
- Making their dog available for breeding-related veterinary visits, like blood draws and testing. These might be done at their regular vet or at the vet of our choice. All costs of breeding will be covered by Maple Lane Australian Labradoodles.
- Cooperating with breeding-dictated needs such as timing of vaccinations, avoiding dog parks/kennels when pregnant, increased food needs, and timing grooming at the end of pregnancy.
- Guardian homes with female dogs must live within about 45 minutes of Annville, PA. Females will need to spend several days with us when she is in heat and we are ready to breed her. She will need to return to our home during the last two weeks of her pregnancy and stay with us until her puppies have weaned. Guardians of females can visit the dog while she is with us except for the first two weeks after delivery.
- Guardian homes with male dogs must be within 30 minutes of Annville, PA. Male dogs will need to visit for several hours at a time, typically every other day for 5 days whenever there is a female we would like to breed him with.
Females generally breed up to twice a year between 18 months and 6 years old, but they are not necessarily bred on every heat. Often, guardian families find it works well to time trips, vacations, or home improvement projects while their dog is whelping, saving the nuisance and expense of boarding. Males can breed for years after their first birthday.
If you are interested in applying to become a guardian home, please complete the Guardian Home Application in the link above and return it to us by email.